Game of Thrones Recap -Season 6 Finale - The Winds Of Winter
Can you feel it? Has there been an awakening? Ooops, wrong franchise, but still - gott dayuuuum that was a wild ass episode! It honestly made up for the whole season being a little lackluster, the payoff was so satisfying! Wow!
Direwolf Badassery - Beginning to think the writers forgot Ghost exists. Why isn’t he present at Jon’s Coronation?
Jon Snow Mania - If the weather report this season called for Snow, then you better get your shovels cause we’re at PEAK SNOW right now. He’s the KING IN THE NORTH!
1. The body count in this episode was staggering, so staggering that I almost wonder if part of it had to do with HBO not wanting to renew a host of people’s contracts. RIP Margaery, Tommen, Loras, Grand Maester Pycelle (did you know he was in Star Wars), Walder Frey (I know you know he was in Harry Potter), The High Sparrow, Amazing Mustache Tyrell Guy, and Lancel Lannister! I feel like next season is finally going to be about two things - the battle for the Throne and the battle vs the White Walkers and I couldn’t be more stoked!
2. Earlier this season Cersei “chose violence” and we finally see what that looks like when seen all the way through. She dresses in some wild evil witch black get up and then proceeds to take a page from her brother’s book and pop some wildfire and incinerate everyone. Of course this comes at a price - Tommen’s death. What will she be like when she has no children to ground her? I think we got a taste when she set the mountain loose on Septa Morgane. The easiest way to put this is she has no shame - ZING
3. The citadel scene was cool but I don’t truly understand where this story is leading? My guess would be Sam is gonna find the ultimate white walker killing weapon - but why is that necessary considering Bran is now back at Castle Black and knows a lot about the white walkers and apparently still has more to learn. Also major Harry Potter vibes from the Citadel.
4. MINOR MIND MELT - Did you catch how Benjen said there was magic in the wall? That magic is keeping the white walkers out for now but once Bran shows up there - I think the white walkers are gonna stroll right through it, just like they penetrated the Raven’s fortress. Bran is marked, he’s like a homing beacon for The Night’s King. I ,for one, wouldn’t mind another epic battle at the wall!
5. Melisandre is a fascinating character on the show. She started as some kind of hybrid sex-pot advisor and has evolved, especially this season as kind of a tragic character who’s paying the price for her convictions. She knows she’s done bad things but she’s so focused on the end game or her own belief she doesn’t see it. I found her lack of true fight against Jon and Davos when they exiled her to be a great ending of this chapter in her story. I wonder if she’ll seek out fellow Lord of Light worshipper Thoros or Myr.
6. So Jon Snow is revealed as a Targaryen and I understand it’s cool for people who read the books, but for me it was all a little anti-climatic. Everyone seemingly knew it was coming and while it was handled well - I was way more into the KING IN THE NORTH SCENE. To me Jon Snow’s lineage is only important if it means he can ride dragons. If he can’t - he’s still the man, but I’m not that stoked on it.
7. Varys - what kind of tricks is he up to? I was suprised to see him on the ship sailing to Westeros and I wonder if his pals know he stopped in Dorne? Having the Tyrells, Martells, Greyjoys all align with Daeyners is a complicated alliance which I would assume to be very fragile.
8. Arya crossed another name on the list and honestly I just felt sad. It seems like she’s becoming more of cold blooded murdering psycho than an elite assassin and I wonder/worry where her journey ends when there is no one left on her list. Speaking of her list the people who are left and still alive are: Cersei, The Hound, The Mountain, and some other who haven’t been on the show in a long long time!
9. With this season finale - the end game is in sight for the show and I’m thrilled about it. Daenerys crossing the sea is a huge moment for the series and seeing her take over Westeros (who can stand against her, seriously) is going to be thrilling. At the same time there is a lot more talk about white walkers and the true battle ahead and I can’t wait to see what that looks like!
10. This season was a weird one - some heavy set-up episodes, some stand out episodes, one intense battle episode and a finale that really tied it all together. I would say it was a major upgrade from last season but still not as epic as earlier seasons. That being said I don’t think I’ve ever been more excited for the show to return than I am right now and that’s exactly where the writers want me to be. Bring on Jon Snow riding a dragon torching white walkers - I’M REAAADDAAAYYYYYYY.