Game Of Thrones Season 6 Premiere - The Red Woman
Thrones is back and I gotta say this was a pretty strong opening episode. It set up the pieces on the chessboard, had some decent fighting, and a hell of a final scene. Also, let's talk more about that final scene - kind of ruins all of my game of thrones babe rankings, but whatever.
Direwolf Badassery - Healthy 3 points. We got a howl, some solid growling, and some serious teeth shots from Ghost. Let's hope he gets to spill some blood this season.
Jon Snow Mania - No resurrection but at least he's got REAL FRIENDS.
1. The opening shot of the season is a sunrise over Castle Black. This both showcases that a new season is dawning, but also a potential resurrection for Jon Snow. I know that may be searching but if it opened with a bleak dark night and his body burning - it would be a different opening.
2. Right out of the gate - Melisandre says "I saw him fighting at Winterfell" and my head is spinning! When did she say that? Way back when she was with Stannis in season 2? Or was it recently? Also, does it matter? I mean, she wasn't hyper accurate with Stannis right? Aaaannnd she's a hag! What?
3. Let's talk about the #hagreveal for a second. First it messes up my women on Thrones power rankings, but also it makes you wonder just how long Melisandre has been around - and with all the talk on Thrones about the First Men - it makes you wonder just how much she knows about the world of Westeros - both it's players and it's magical history. Perhaps her story will interact with White Walkers?
4. SLIGHT MIND MELT WITH SIDE OF CHEAP CHEDDAR - The season seems to be about the actions people take after someone important to them dies. How do the Lannisters react to Mycella's death? How do Jon Snow's #RealFriends and the Night's Watch react to his death? How does Ramsay Bolton react to his girl's death?
5. It took a final season but between that dagger toss and that spear through the face - the Sand Snakes are finally cool - took long enough, don't really know what to make of them? A Dorne plotline isn't that interesting - if they try to infiltrate King's Landing - that's a different story.
6. I touch on this in my video recap - but those Dothraki foot soldiers having an ultra crude conversation about Khaleesi really felt like it was seasons of unnecessary female nudity, sex, and classic "sexposition" rolled up in one statement. Let's hope this season is different than last season and that we don't have a rape every other episode.
7. You know it never gets old, but between frozen rivers, rolling green hills, and deserts - GAME OF THRONES can still give you that epic vista!
8. Has Theon's redemption journey won me over - not yet? I may be inching towards that starting line but this dude was insufferable at Winterfell - so they haven't got me yet.
9. In a passing of the torch - Roose Bolton has taken over the Tywin Lannister roll of making somewhat cryptic menacing threats while standing in a dining room. Welcome Roose - you deserve it - maybe you'll die on a toilet like Tywin
10. Usually there is a pre-credits opening scene - but not this time? I wonder why that is? Oh I get it now - the previously one segment was like five minutes long and thankfully summarized a rather weak last season!