Game Of Thrones Recap - No One - Season 6, Episode 8
After missing last week, I’m back and you know what - Game Of Thrones is as well. I thought this episode was a great mix of violence, plot movement, and some unexpected humor.
Direwolf Badassery - No, but hopefully next week.
Jon Snow Mania - No, but hopefully next week
1. While I think the writers leaned a little too heavy on the dramatic reenactments of previous seasons with the theater group - I found “Cersei’s” monologue tonight to be amazing. It sets up the anguish that Cersei feels later in the episode was Tommen takes away her right to trial by Combat. Man, Tommen has made a quick turnaround - offscreen character, wide eyed virgin getting his rocks off with Margaery, to now - a cold blooded psycho who turns his own mother over to fanatics!
2. The hound is literally the best thing to happen to this season. He kicks ass, his story has a ton of momentum, and he has far and away the best one liners on the show. Possible for him to get a valerian axe to kill White Walkers
3. I could go for a Varys/Tyrion spinoff series where they travel around the Seven Kingdoms mediating political disputes
4. That being said, Tyrion has had nothing to do this season. Feels like a real waste of his character and Dinklage’s acting abilities.
5.MIND MELT - Is anyone truly good on this show? More importantly when put in difficult situation is the goodness in your soul malleable? This came up frequently tonight with everyone from Edmurre Tully, The Hound, and Jaime Lannister questioning just how much good is left in them. The truth is that outside of Jon Snow - there is no “good” person on this show - just a whole bunch of gray. That’s life though right?
6. I’m a little bummed we didn’t get an epic Riverun siege. I’m more bummed we didn’t get to see The Blackfish fight. Sooo much hype around this character and he “dies” off-screen. He’s not dead by the way - you don’t die off screen on this show when you’re that much of a badass and not come back. Example - The Hound.
7. So for pretty much the whole season Daenery’s plotline has been reduced to a series of epic moments, entrances, and speeches. YAAWWNNN.
8. Game Of Thrones showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss must have a background in comedy because it really came through in tonight’s episode - not just in the scene with Tyrion n’ Pals having some cocktails. The dialogue with The Hound and The Brotherhood Without Banners was hilarious.
9. So the Terminator, I mean The Waif died offscreen and thankfully this overwrought storyline is at an end. Did it really take two seasons for Arya to get reminded that she is a Stark? C’mon! What a waste. Hoping there is a bigger payoff down the line. It would have been all worth it if she killed Sir Jaqen at the end though.
10. I really thought the slaver’s ships were Ironborn and I got extremely excited. Hope that happens this season.
Stoked for next week! Bring on the battle of the bastards!